Veronica's Veil, Framed in Black and Gold
New, beautifully framed portrait of Jesus, titled Veronica's Veil, is joining our collection.
We have given this limited edition portrait an antiqued and distressed feel, with a shadow box effect to showcase the hand-detailed frame and the poignant image, as well as the dimensionality of the decorative nails that attach the image to the suede-like background.
The overall effect is that of a one-of-a-kind treasured keepsake, a lovely gift for yourself or for a loved one.
Available at our store.
Antiqued, distressed European-style frame, with gold scroll design and finished corners.
Real decorative nails fasten the image to a soft, suede-like background. The print edges have been distressed and antiqued by hand, so each piece is unique. The image has also been antiqued, and it looks as if painted on old fabric.
And a little frame history to complete this post...
The frame style we chose for our Veronica's Veil image is called "cassetta". It was developed in the early Renaissance (from 1400 to 1479) in Italy, and it is still popular today.
There are many variations to this frame profile, but they all have three basic components: a thin inner edge, a recessed flat, broad area, and an outer edge.
Often the flat area (called frieze) is decorated with gold leaf and various designs, resulting in a beautiful, richly finished frame of unparalleled beauty.
A cassetta frame very similar to the one we chose for our Veronica's Veil image can be spotted in a 17th century painting by Jan Brueghel. See painting with magnified detail area below.
- Mar 30, 2017 The Fabric of the Shroud of Turin Mar 30, 2017
- Dec 1, 2016 Why Was Jesus Born in Bethlehem? Dec 1, 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- Aug 3, 2016 Jesus Alive Again, Official Selection at CLIFF 2016 Aug 3, 2016
- Aug 2, 2016 Plants of the Time of Jesus: the Fig Tree Aug 2, 2016
- Jul 8, 2016 Jesus Portrait, Framed in Gold Jul 8, 2016
- Jun 28, 2016 "Gospel of Jesus' Wife" Papyrus - Likely a Forgery Jun 28, 2016
- Jun 14, 2016 Earliest Painted Representation of Shroud of Turin Jun 14, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 Jesus Calls His First Disciples Jun 6, 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- Mar 21, 2016 Mary Magdalene - What We Do Know Mar 21, 2016
- Mar 19, 2016 The Shroud of Turin in an ancient manuscript? Mar 19, 2016
- Mar 18, 2016 Scientist Believes Shroud of Turin Enveloped a Real Crucifixion Victim Mar 18, 2016
- Mar 8, 2016 When is Easter? Mar 8, 2016
- Mar 7, 2016 Pharisees, Sadducees, Herodians, Scribes, and High Priests Mar 7, 2016
- Mar 4, 2016 Dust on the Shroud of Turin - Pollen and Human DNA Mar 4, 2016
- Mar 3, 2016 Attempts to Arrest Jesus before Holy Week Mar 3, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 Holy Week in the Gospels Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 16, 2016 The 3D Information on the Shroud of Turin Feb 16, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016 Pontius Pilate - Prefect, not Procurator Feb 15, 2016
- Feb 9, 2016 The Two Images on the Shroud of Turin Feb 9, 2016
- Feb 5, 2016 Jesus' Last Supper and the Feast of the Passover Feb 5, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 How Old are the Olive Trees in the Garden of Gethsemane? Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 28, 2016 Caiaphas' Bones Jan 28, 2016
- December 2015
- Aug 21, 2015 Rembrandt's Face of Jesus Aug 21, 2015
- May 6, 2015 The Last Supper May 6, 2015
- April 2015
- Mar 27, 2015 Crucifixion and The Use of Nails Mar 27, 2015