The 3D Information on the Shroud of Turin
There is a unique property of the Shroud of Turin which caught the attention of 3D computer graphics artist Ray Downing. Encoded on the fibrils of the cloth is what appears to be 3D information about the shape of the body it may have enveloped. Whether the Shroud proves to be 1st century or medieval, this kind of information is unexpected in an ancient linen.
But what is the difference between 3D and 2D information?
In simplest terms, one can consider a painting or a photograph a 2D image which gives 2D information about its subject matter. That information is 2D because it's flat. Consider the Mona Lisa, for example. No matter how you move when looking at her, you'll never see her profile or the back of her head.
A sculpture is different. With a sculpture you can move around and see it from all sides - it has 3D information.
The Shroud is somehow in between a picture and a statue.
A cloth, like the Shroud, is a 2D object because it's flat. However, if you drape it over a body, it will assume the approximate shape of that body. When you remove the cloth from the body, it straightens out and doesn't retain any of that 3D body shape information. The Shroud of Turin does not retain any of that "draping cloth shape" either. What the Shroud mysteriously does seem to retain is information about the distance the cloth was from parts of the body it rested on as well as parts of the body it was not in direct contact with.
This is true for both the frontal and dorsal images. The relief you see above is the 3D information for the face of the man in the Shroud.
Image can be found here.
- Dec 1, 2016 Why Was Jesus Born in Bethlehem? Dec 1, 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- Aug 3, 2016 Jesus Alive Again, Official Selection at CLIFF 2016 Aug 3, 2016
- Aug 2, 2016 Plants of the Time of Jesus: the Fig Tree Aug 2, 2016
- Jul 8, 2016 Jesus Portrait, Framed in Gold Jul 8, 2016
- Jun 28, 2016 "Gospel of Jesus' Wife" Papyrus - Likely a Forgery Jun 28, 2016
- Jun 14, 2016 Earliest Painted Representation of Shroud of Turin Jun 14, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 Jesus Calls His First Disciples Jun 6, 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- Mar 21, 2016 Mary Magdalene - What We Do Know Mar 21, 2016
- Mar 19, 2016 The Shroud of Turin in an ancient manuscript? Mar 19, 2016
- Mar 18, 2016 Scientist Believes Shroud of Turin Enveloped a Real Crucifixion Victim Mar 18, 2016
- Mar 8, 2016 When is Easter? Mar 8, 2016
- Mar 7, 2016 Pharisees, Sadducees, Herodians, Scribes, and High Priests Mar 7, 2016
- Mar 4, 2016 Dust on the Shroud of Turin - Pollen and Human DNA Mar 4, 2016
- Mar 3, 2016 Attempts to Arrest Jesus before Holy Week Mar 3, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 Holy Week in the Gospels Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 16, 2016 The 3D Information on the Shroud of Turin Feb 16, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016 Pontius Pilate - Prefect, not Procurator Feb 15, 2016
- Feb 9, 2016 The Two Images on the Shroud of Turin Feb 9, 2016
- Feb 5, 2016 Jesus' Last Supper and the Feast of the Passover Feb 5, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 How Old are the Olive Trees in the Garden of Gethsemane? Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 28, 2016 Caiaphas' Bones Jan 28, 2016
- December 2015
- Aug 21, 2015 Rembrandt's Face of Jesus Aug 21, 2015
- May 6, 2015 The Last Supper May 6, 2015
- April 2015
- Mar 27, 2015 Crucifixion and The Use of Nails Mar 27, 2015