The Shroud of Turin in an ancient manuscript?
The National Library of Budapest houses a document titled the Pray Codex or Pray Manuscript, named after its discoverer Gyorgy Pray.
This Codex contains pages of text and five illustrations, one of which depicts the burial of Jesus.
There are some points of interest in this illustration, the main one being the depiction of what could be the Shroud of Turin.
The Shroud was woven in a herringbone pattern, a distinctive V-shaped weaving pattern that looks different on the right side and on the reverse side of the fabric. Looking at the illustration, one could say that the lower area of the image may be depicting, in a very primitive style, the right side of the fabric on the left, and the reverse side on the right.
There are other points of interest in this illustration which would seem to correlate with the image on the Shroud:
- Jesus is shown naked and with his arms crossed over the pelvis.
- Jesus' hands don't show the thumbs.
- Blood stain on Jesus' forehead.
- L-shaped burn holes on the fabric of the Shroud.
While some believe that the illustration is depicting the Shroud, others see an empty sarcophagus with its lid ajar.
The importance of this manuscript is that it has been dated to 1192 - 1195 AD, 70 years earlier than the oldest dating of the Shroud (1260 - 1390AD).
In the end, like so much of the evidence supporting the authenticity of the Shroud, none of it is definitive, and the unusual nature of the image remains its central enigma.
- Mar 30, 2017 The Fabric of the Shroud of Turin Mar 30, 2017
- Dec 1, 2016 Why Was Jesus Born in Bethlehem? Dec 1, 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- Aug 3, 2016 Jesus Alive Again, Official Selection at CLIFF 2016 Aug 3, 2016
- Aug 2, 2016 Plants of the Time of Jesus: the Fig Tree Aug 2, 2016
- Jul 8, 2016 Jesus Portrait, Framed in Gold Jul 8, 2016
- Jun 28, 2016 "Gospel of Jesus' Wife" Papyrus - Likely a Forgery Jun 28, 2016
- Jun 14, 2016 Earliest Painted Representation of Shroud of Turin Jun 14, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 Jesus Calls His First Disciples Jun 6, 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- Mar 21, 2016 Mary Magdalene - What We Do Know Mar 21, 2016
- Mar 19, 2016 The Shroud of Turin in an ancient manuscript? Mar 19, 2016
- Mar 18, 2016 Scientist Believes Shroud of Turin Enveloped a Real Crucifixion Victim Mar 18, 2016
- Mar 8, 2016 When is Easter? Mar 8, 2016
- Mar 7, 2016 Pharisees, Sadducees, Herodians, Scribes, and High Priests Mar 7, 2016
- Mar 4, 2016 Dust on the Shroud of Turin - Pollen and Human DNA Mar 4, 2016
- Mar 3, 2016 Attempts to Arrest Jesus before Holy Week Mar 3, 2016
- Feb 22, 2016 Holy Week in the Gospels Feb 22, 2016
- Feb 16, 2016 The 3D Information on the Shroud of Turin Feb 16, 2016
- Feb 15, 2016 Pontius Pilate - Prefect, not Procurator Feb 15, 2016
- Feb 9, 2016 The Two Images on the Shroud of Turin Feb 9, 2016
- Feb 5, 2016 Jesus' Last Supper and the Feast of the Passover Feb 5, 2016
- Feb 1, 2016 How Old are the Olive Trees in the Garden of Gethsemane? Feb 1, 2016
- Jan 28, 2016 Caiaphas' Bones Jan 28, 2016
- December 2015
- Aug 21, 2015 Rembrandt's Face of Jesus Aug 21, 2015
- May 6, 2015 The Last Supper May 6, 2015
- April 2015
- Mar 27, 2015 Crucifixion and The Use of Nails Mar 27, 2015